Games industry celebrates as the winners are announced during Develop:Brighton 2023
The Develop:Star Awards returned to the Hilton Brighton Metropole during Develop:Brighton and saw winners crowned in 20 categories before this year’s Develop Star Award recipient, Guerrilla, was celebrated for its outstanding achievements and contribution to the games industry.
There was a surprise addition to evening’s proceedings, with Dr Jo Twist OBE being honoured with the Special Recognition Award for her contributions to the industry over the last decade having recently left her post as CEO of Ukie after 11 years.
It was a big night for Sony Interactive Entertainment, with Horizon Call of the Mountain picking-up Best Visual Art and Best Technical Innovation, and God of War Ragnarök taking home Best Audio, Best Narrative and Best Game.
Rollerdrome developer Roll7 won Best Studio, while Hi-Fi RUSH took home Best Original IP.
The brand-new Sustainability Star category was won by ustwo games, who also took home Best Mobile Game for Desta: The Memories Between.
The full list of winners is below:
- Best Studio: Roll7
- Best Small Studio: Black Salt Games
- Best Game: God of War Ragnarök – Santa Monica Studio | Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Publishing Star: Team17 Digital
- Best Mobile Game: Desta: The Memories Between – ustwo games | Netflix
- Best Game Design: Vampire Survivors – poncle
- Best Original IP: Hi-Fi Rush – Tango Gameworks | Bethesda Softworks
- Best Narrative: God of War Ragnarök – Santa Monica Studio | Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Best Visual Art: Horizon Call of the Mountain – Guerrilla Games | Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Best Audio: God of War Ragnarök – Santa Monica Studio | Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Best QA & Localisation: Keywords Studios
- Best Technical Innovation: Horizon Call of the Mountain – Guerrilla Games | Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Best Technology Provider: Unreal Engine
- Best Creative Provider: Atomhawk
- Diversity Star: Dom Shaw – Ukie
- Sustainability Star: ustwo games
- Recruitment Star: Amiqus
- Talent Development Star: Sumo Group
- Marketing Star: nDreams
- Tomorrow’s Star: Shaye Poulton Richards – INTERIOR/NIGHT
- The Develop Star Award: Guerrilla
- Special Recognition Award: Dr Jo Twist OBE
“Each year the Develop:Star Awards showcases the extraordinary talent throughout the games industry, and last night was no exception,” said Andy Lane, Tandem Events Managing Director.
“The Develop:Star Awards isn’t just a celebration of our worthy winners, but of the entire games industry. We’d like to thank everyone involved, from those who came along to show their support, our winners, and to everyone who helped make this event possible.”
The finalists in each competitive category were selected by a panel of judges, with the winners then decided by a closed industry vote of delegates from previous Develop:Brighton conferences.
The Develop:Star Awards 2023 were supported by headline sponsor Unreal Engine and individual award sponsors Amiqus, Epic Games, GamesIndustry.biz, Games London, NaturalMotion, ustwo games, and Xbox.
The Develop:Star Awards will return next year to the DoubleTree Brighton Metropole on Wednesday 10 July, during Develop:Brighton 2024, which will be taking place on 9-11 July.
--- END --
About The Develop:Star Awards
Taking place alongside the conference, the new Develop:Star Awards recognise the very best of the game development community. The achievements of developers and success of great games and creativity will be celebrated across 20 categories, including one ultimate ‘Develop Star’ honouring an extraordinary game developer for outstanding achievement and contribution to the industry.
About Develop:Brighton conference & expo
Develop:Brighton brings together the entire UK game dev industry to learn from each other, share ideas and experiences, network, and do business in a friendly and inclusive environment. The event also offers high quality conference sessions - from the industries brightest minds and talents - with practical takeaways that allow delegates to “skill-up” and be inspired to make better games.
With a programme shaped to reflect attendees’ feedback and hot topics for game makers in 2022 (monetisation, the Metaverse, ethical working practices, environment and sustainability, etc.) the Expo brings together some of the most innovative companies from every sector of games development. Guests can also keep up-to date with the latest dev tools/tech and get hands on with all the games on display.
Develop:Brighton offers three days of inspiration, fulfilment, and fun by England’s south coast.