Develop:Brighton is open to everyone. We are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, or religion. This code of conduct outlines our expectations for participant behaviour as well as the consequences for unacceptable behaviour.
So we invite all sponsors, volunteers, speakers, attendees, media, exhibitors, and other participants to help us make Develop:Brighton a safe and positive experience for everyone.
We expect all event participants to abide by this code of conduct at all conference venues and conference-related social events.
All decisions about appropriate or inappropriate behaviour are at the sole discretion of the event organisers Tandem Events.
- Be considerate and respectful.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behaviour and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow attendees. Alert conference organisers if you notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- Unacceptable behaviour includes: intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning conduct by any attendees of Develop:Brighton and related events like the after hours networking parties.
- Harassment includes: offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability; inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images in public spaces (including presentation slides); deliberate intimidation, stalking or following; harassing photography or recording; sustained disruption of talks or other events; inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.
- Wearing clothing that is not suitable for a professional work environment, that is provocative, or otherwise potentially offensive.
- Physical, written, verbal or other abuse, intimidation, threats, annoyance, harassment, stalking, pushing, shoving or use of any physical force whatsoever against any person, which in any way creates a disturbance that is disruptive or dangerous, or creates anxiety in a person.
- Possession of any item that can be used as a weapon, and may cause danger to others.
- Any boisterous, lewd or offensive behaviour or language, including but not limited to using sexually explicit or offensive language, materials or conduct, or any language, behaviour or content that contains profanity, obscene gestures, or racial, religious, gender, or ethnic slurs.
- Drinking alcohol outside designated areas. Please drink responsibly.
- Possession or use of any illegal substance. Develop:Brighton does not tolerate the use or abuse of illegal substances anywhere in the venue.
- Smoking is not permitted other than in designated areas outside the venue.
- Assembling for the purpose of, or resulting in, disturbing the peace, or committing any unlawful act or engaging in any offensive behaviour.
- Failure to obey any rules or regulations of the Venue.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behaviour
- Unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated.
- Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behaviour is expected to comply immediately.
- If a participant engages in unacceptable behaviour, the conference organisers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the conference without warning or refund.
What to Do If You Witness or Are a Victim of Unacceptable Behaviour
- If you are subjected to unacceptable behaviour, notice that someone else is being subjected to unacceptable behaviour, or have any other concerns, please notify a conference organiser as soon as possible. All reports will remain completely confidential.
- The Develop:Brighton team will be available to help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, or to otherwise assist those experiencing unacceptable behaviour to feel safe for the duration of the conference. You can report unacceptable behaviour to any member of staff. Staff can be found in the Organiser’s Office onsite or you may email the event director Andy Lane, contact details below.
If you have any questions please contact Andy Lane: